This fully funded Green Action programme provides inspirational experiences for youth groups.
Participants will take part in a multi-day programme led by our Green Beacons (trained educators, youth leaders and volunteers).
This opportunity is provided by Peak District National Park.
About this opportunity
Over a series of three day visits, we will come out to you and lead activities in your setting to learn about nature on your doorstep and lead visits to our National Park Education Centres. Topped off with an unforgettable night under the stars, in accommodation provided by the YHA set in the inspirational landscape of the Peak District National Park.
All experiences are designed to grow nature connectedness as a means to enhance physical and mental wellbeing. And to take Green Action as custodians for the landscape #PeakDistrictProud. Through exploring, discovering and conserving a green space young people can gain the John Muir Award.
Our Generation Green Ranger will co-ordinate your visits and tailor your programme to the needs of the young people in your group.
Need to know
How it works
Activities vary by location but may include:
- learning how to stay safe in the countryside with navigation skills
- exploring different habitats
- trying mindfulness and nature connection activities
- having a go at caring for our landscape through practical conservation tasks
Participants will benefit from:
- understanding of personal responsibilities and opportunities to undertake pro-environmental behaviours and actions
- building resilience and a connection to nature
- working towards the John Muir Award
If your group has additional needs or requirements, please contact the Peak District National Park before booking. You can email the team directly at [email protected].
Dates and locations
Longdendale Environment Centre
Tintwistle, Glossop, SK13 1HS
Day visits available from July - October 2021 (confirmed as part of booking process)
Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 8SS
- 16th - 17th August 2021
- 17th - 18th August 2021
- 18th - 19th August 2021
Green Action Day Visits and Residential for Youth Groups
Timings can be flexible to accommodate travel.
- Depart school on coach and travel to YHA.
- Arrive and drop off bags into storage.
- Day activity: connecting to nature - navigation and mindfulness. Together explore the surrounding countryside, working as a team to learn how to use a map to find your way and the skills to stay safe. Immerse into nature.
- Access rooms.
- Evening meal (catered).
- Evening activity: dark skies - find out more about the special qualities of the National Park at night.
- Overnight in YHA bunk accommodation - under school supervision (no project leaders support).
- Breakfast and collect packed lunches (catered).
- Day activity: caring for nature - practical task learning to look after our countryside, and find out what lives there. This could be improving habitats for birds, bugs and bees, planting trees or taking pro-environmental behaviours in a social action.
- Depart on coach back to school.