Our impact 2016/17
We create opportunities to explore, learn, share and grow in inspirational places.
Through new experiences in our Youth Hostels, young people learn about themselves, each other and the world around them. As a result, they grow into happier, healthier and more successful adults.
This year we reached over 1.1 million young people through staying, volunteering, experiencing and engaging with YHA. Of these young people 256,637 stayed with us, 148,720 were on school trips and youth programmes.
We focus on improving young people’s health, education and recreation in the short and long term.
- 1 in 5 children leaving primary school are obese
- 40% of young people experience a mental health issue by aged 16 years
- 800,000 young people live with a disability or are fighting a life threatening illness
- 178,000 young people have caring responsibilities at home
- 3.9 million children are living in poverty in the UK
- Children from disadvantaged backgrounds are less likely to gain good GCSE results
- 1 in 5 children struggle to learn to read, in part because their parents have literacy issues
- Keeping young people in education for longer reduces crime rates
- 2.17 million families in the UK are unable to afford a one week break at any time of year
- 1.46m families struggle to find just one day out together
- 330k disabled children have never accessed activities outside of their home
- 112 children are newly bereaved every day in the UK
- 850,000 young people aged 16-24 years are not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- Young people from lower income families are less likely to volunteer
- Participation in young development schemes is lower amongst young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
20 young carers escape to Cornwall
We gave 20 young carers a free break to YHA Perranporth.
Much more than a holiday from their responsibilities, this respite trip gave these young people from a deprived area the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, learn to surf and spend time with peers who know exactly what they’re going through. Crucially, these precious few days away brought happiness and hope for the future.
Help us achieve even more
Join us on our mission to reach more than one million young people every year. Together we can transform young lives through travel, adventure and discovery by creating opportunities to explore, learn, share and grow.