Cycling in National Forest
Take a tour of the National Forest by bike! We've got a well-equipped bike shed with a full selection of equipment, complete with bike washing facilities for a sparkling ride. With easy to follow markers the circuits are perfect for all cyclists. Set yourself a challenge of the 4.5 mile route or take it easy with a 1.5 mile bike ride.
YHA National Forest is a great place to explore a forest in the making in the heart of England, here you can access a family friendly cycle centre, gentile trails and towpaths, village hopping along nature filled lanes through to long distance road routes.
For the family:
- Why not bring your bikes and cycle 10 minutes along gravelled tracks to the Conkers centre for a fun filled family day out or just cycle along the Conkers Circuit.
- Just 2 miles away is the Cycle Centre, a family friendly centre suitable for all ages and abilities, especially The Family Forest Trail, the 1.25 mile trail sees you travelling through wide gravelled paths surrounded by woods.
- Cycle or drive up to Sarah’s Wood, a small play area situated in managed woodland, cycle the tarmacked paths or take a break at the play area.
- We have a sightseeing route which will take you to the most popular visitors sights in the area included in the route are the Ashby Canal, Moira Furnace, Saltesford Valley Picnic area and the Bluebell Arboretum and Nursery.
Fancy a challenge?
- Moira to Lichfield – 40mile
- Cycle part or all of the Sustrans National Cycle Route 63 the 113 miles route begins at Burton-upon-Trent and concludes at Wisbech. Or try out the National Cycle Route 54 which is 91 miles from Stourport to Parsley Hay via Burton and Derby.
- Hicks Lodge Cycle Centre also has the 4.35 mile Shell Brook Trail (only suitable for mountain bikes) for the adventure seekers to explore the untouched woodland of Hicks Lodge enjoying the natural beauty of the National Forest.
- Cycle the Ashby Woulds Heritage Trail the 10 mile cycle see you travel through established woodlands on the disused railway line around the Conkers Circuit around the Albert Village Lake, through old coalfields of Leicestershire to Donisthorpe Woodland Park.
- Conkers Heritage Trail – 6.7 mile
Velodrome in Derby
- Be the first to test out the new cycling complex in Derby. Here you can hire track bikes and tandem cycles from £6.50, to test out your speed on the tracks."
What makes it special
- Bike hire available
- Fantastic for biking enthusiasts
Other things to do nearby
Kedleston Hall was designed to be different. Take a trip back to the 1760s to chart the creation of a unique house and park.
Twycross Zoo is located in beautiful countryside in the heart of England. It's won award for it's conservation and is fun for all the family.
The National Brewery Centre delves into the history of the legendary Bass family and the role they had in the development of brewing.
The 5.7km Ashby Trail runs from the old station at Measham to Spring Cottage.
We are a new team here at YHA National Forest and we want to start the new season with a bang and get the local community talking about us as a charity and using our café. We are hosting an o
An impressive iron-making blast furnace. Why not try a boat trip along Ashby Canal, a woodland walk or guided museum tour.
A unique mix of indoor and outdoor experiences to keep the family entertained. Don't miss the Enchanted Forest Play area. Enjoy the great outdoors with all the family at Conkers.
The mix of woodland and meadow, ponds and play areas offer the perfect playground for visitors of all ages, all year round. See details on the Centre's website
Organised by Run For All for the first time in 2018, the Asda Foundation Derby Half Marathon – formerly known as the Ramathon - proved to be a welcome addition to Run For All’s events calendar, attrac