Join today and save every time you stay!
Welcomes all - individual travellers, families, school and youth groups, recording around two million overnight stays each year
- Helps provide learning opportunities for 8,000 school, college and youth groups to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum and other educational needs
- Gives thousands of disadvantaged young people each year a trip part-funded by YHA’s Breaks for Kids scheme
- Accommodates 750,000 overnight stays by young people under the age of 18 each year, travelling independently, with families or as part of an organised group
- Runs a network of 200 Youth Hostels, bunkhouses and camping barns, in stunning rural, coastal and city locations throughout England and Wales
- Has over 200,000 members
- Is supported by more than 700 active volunteers
- Employs more than 1,200 staff including 600 seasonal staff
- Has an annual turnover of £50 million
- Is one of Britain’s top 50 charities
- Is number 69 in the Times Top 100 not-for-profit organisations, an Investor in People and Volunteers and have won multiple industry awards for our marketing campaigns
- Welcomes visitors from 80 different nations each year, accounting for 500,000 overnight stays
- Has invested over £22 million in our network since 2011 and is continuing to do so to update our hostels and create new ones, meeting the needs and expectations of our customers.
- Is an active member of Hostelling International (HI) which embraces 60 countries, with 4,000 Youth Hostels and 3.2 million members worldwide. HI is the largest budget accommodation network in the world
How we work
YHA is a charity. Our Board of Trustees ensures YHA is run in line with the charitable object. YHA has 15 Trustees and three Officers; a Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Treasurer.
Trustees are YHA members, elected by the membership. From 2010 any YHA member can attend the AGM and take part in the election of Trustees.
The Board monitors the performance of YHA and makes decisions on policies.
Trustees appoint a Chief Executive who is responsible for carrying out policy on their behalf.
Our vision is to reach out and enhance the lives of all young people. We have set out four strategic themes to help us achieve this vision over the next three years and these are:
- Developing talented people and teams
- Putting the customer first in everything we do
- Reaching more people through experiences and partnerships
- Achieving a financially sustainable network.
Our mission and our vision
Mission: To inspire all, especially young people, to broaden their horizons, gaining knowledge and independence through new experiences of adventure and discovery.
Vision: Reaching out and enhancing the lives of all young people. To move towards this vision, over the next three years, we aspire to reach one million young people per year.
We are good citizens and really care about the environment. We follow best practice for environmental sustainability. This allows us to continue to fulfil our charitable object, evolving to meet challenges, now and in the future.
What you can expect from YHA:
- We will take the time to do things properly and considerately
- We will do everything we can to protect our working environment
- We will use sound business principles to make positive choices about improving the environment
Download a copy of the YHA Green SPIRIT Plan 2011 - 2014
Annual Review and accounts
YHA has a vision – to reach out and enhance the lives of all young people. We want to double the number of young people under the age of 26 who experience YHA. We need to be as relevant to young people as we were 80 years ago when YHA was first established.
Staying with YHA is a unique and special experience. YHA offers people the opportunity to grow and gain new skills, self-reliance and confidence. We enable people to get involved with others from a range of different backgrounds and cultures and with different interests.
Click here to read the 2011 Annual Review in full
Click here to read the 2012 Annual Review in full
Click here to read the 2013 Annual Review in full
Click here to read the 2014 Annual Review in full
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2010/2011
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2011/2012
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2012/2013
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2013/2014
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2014/2015
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2015/2016
We are pleased to announce our partnership with a new charity called Chance for Change.
Chance for Change is committed to giving young people (18-25 years) opportunities for personal development and the confidence to travel independently through wilderness journeys. They have set up two programs, one here in the UK and one in Nepal.
In the UK, the year-long program will start with a two week residential at Chance for Change’s centre Striding Edge, next door to YHA Helvellyn. The aim is to equip the young people with the skills and confidence to travel unsupported and will include a short expedition staying at hostels in the area. Afterwards the young people will be challenged to undertake 12 hostel stays over the next six months. Following a mid-year get-together at Striding Edge the groups will again be challenged to visit another 12 hostels, to include an extended wilderness journey of their choice and some volunteering (ideally with us at a hostel!).
Young people will be entirely funded to complete the program thanks to the fundraising already carried out by the Chance for Change team. Young people will be ‘talent spotted’ through referral partnerships, including with the Prince’s Trust and Foyer. As the project is starting in the Lakes, the Hostel Managers and teams there will be asked to help shape the introduction to YHA for young people and will no doubt meet the groups as they make their journeys around our network.
The Nepalese project involves local young people learning English and ultimately training to work in the trekking industry. On completion of the UK-based project young people will be offered the chance to apply to take part in a five week Nepalese adventure, including visiting the community project and a trekking experience. This is a great partnership for YHA as the aims of Chance for Change fit so neatly with our own. The Chance for Change team are very inspiring and their enthusiasm is infectious, so we look forward to a positive working relationship over the coming months and years.