Join today and save everytime you stay!
Welcomes all - individual travellers, families, school and youth groups, recording around two million overnight stays each year
- Helps provide learning opportunities for 8,000 school, college and youth groups to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum and other educational needs
- Gives thousands of disadvantaged young people each year a trip part-funded by YHA’s Breaks for Kids scheme
- Accommodates 750,000 overnight stays by young people under the age of 18 each year, travelling independently, with families or as part of an organised group
- Runs a network of 200 Youth Hostels, bunkhouses and camping barns, in stunning rural, coastal and city locations throughout England and Wales
- Has over 200,000 members
- Is supported by more than 700 active volunteers
- Employs more than 1,200 staff including 600 seasonal staff
- Has an annual turnover of £50 million
- Is one of Britain’s top 50 charities
- Welcomes visitors from 80 different nations each year, accounting for 500,000 overnight stays
- Is an active member of Hostelling International (HI) which embraces 60 countries, with 4,000 Youth Hostels and 3.2 million members worldwide. HI is the largest budget accommodation network in the world
How we work
YHA is a charity. Our Board of Trustees ensures YHA is run in line with the charitable object. YHA has 12 Trustees and three Officers; a Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Treasurer.
Trustees are YHA members, elected by representatives of YHA’s members through councils in the three English regions and in Wales for three year terms at the Annual General Meeting held every year in July.
The Board monitors the performance of YHA and makes decisions on policies.
Trustees appoint a Chief Executive who is responsible for carrying out policy on their behalf.
Our vision is to reach out and enhance the lives of all young people. We have set out four strategic themes to help us achieve this vision over the next three years and these are:
- Developing talented people and teams
- Putting the customer first in everything we do
- Reaching more people through experiences and partnerships
- Achieving a financially sustainable network.
Download a copy of the YHA Business Plan 2012.
We are good citizens and really care about the environment. We follow best practice for environmental sustainability. This allows us to continue to fulfil our charitable object, evolving to meet challenges, now and in the future.
What you can expect from YHA:
- We will take the time to do things properly and considerately
- We will do everything we can to protect our working environment
- We will use sound business principles to make positive choices about improving the environment
Download a copy of the YHA Green SPIRIT Plan 2011 - 2014
Annual Review and accounts
YHA has a vision – to reach out and enhance the lives of all young people. We want to double the number of young people under the age of 26 who experience YHA. We need to be as relevant to young people as we were 80 years ago when YHA was first established.
Staying with YHA is a unique and special experience. YHA offers people the opportunity to grow and gain new skills, self-reliance and confidence. We enable people to get involved with others from a range of different backgrounds and cultures and with different interests.
Click here to read the 2011 Annual Review in full
Click here to read the 2012 Annual Review in full
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2010/2011
Click here to download the statutory financial accounts for 2011/2012