Join today and save everytime you stay!
YHA Skiddaw Bunkhouse
This hostel provides the following facilities:
Library / Quiet room
Self catering only
Self-catering dining room
Suitable for families
Under 3s welcome
About YHA Skiddaw Bunkhouse
If you're looking for some peace and quiet then YHA Skiddaw Bunkhouse is the perfect location for you. Standing in a traffic free valley, between Skiddaw and Blencathra, this former shooting lodge and shepherd's bothy, complete with coal and log fires, is the highest YHA bunkhouse in Britain. It offers simple but comfortable accommodation in the beautiful northern fells of the Lake District, surrounded by moors, valleys and breath-taking views. This unique 22 bed bunkhouse offers a truly rural retreat for walkers cyclists and those wanting to escape the pressures of modern living and get away from the crowds in the towns of the central Lake District.
Natural fleece lined walls provide insulation for a really cosy night's sleep. The bunkhouse's solar panels provide hot water and lighting. There is no mains electricity, no mobile phone signal and no TV which means you really will be able to truly relax in the peace and quiet of this beautiful location.
- Open plan combined sitting room/kitchen with wood burning stove
- Well equipped self-catering kitchen with gas hobs and gas oven
- 22 beds in four rooms of various sizes
- Games room complete with a piano, board games and lots of books
- Small shop stocking basic food items - everything you need to make a meal!
- Cook Yourself Breakfast and Pack Yourself Lunch packs available to buy.
Need to know
YHA Skiddaw Bunkhouse is situated 3.5 miles from the nearest road and is accessible only on foot or by mountain bike. Only cash and cheques are accepted as payment methods at the bunkhouse.
Towels are not supplied. They are available to hire from reception for £2 (+ £5 deposit) or please bring your own. Bedding is supplied.
08.00 - 10.00
17.00 - 23.00
Hostel Closing Times:
10.00 - 17.00
Is the hostel open every day of the year?
- This Cumbria Way accommodation is 1,550 feet above sea level, so a walk or ride to the top of Skiddaw is a must for anyone staying here on a Lake District activity break.
Fancy spending some time in the stunning Lake District making a difference? YHA offers volunteering opportunities for individuals or groups throughout the year including student placements, week & weekend working parties or as much time as you’re willing to give. Tasks are varied and can be tailored to your interests or you can learn lots of new skills. If you’re interested in helping out please use either the hostel details above or contact our volunteering team at email@example.com.