Join today and save everytime you stay!
This hostel provides the following facilities:
Picnic lunch available
Private rooms available
Under 3s welcome
About Black Sail
YHA Black Sail is only open for group bookings (no individual bookings) from November to February.
Location, location, location. YHA Black Sail has it. Remote and accessible only on foot, it’s a rural retreat that lovers of the great outdoors can normally only dream about. Located in a traffic-free valley that is being returned to a ‘wild’ state, it’s as tranquil as a stay in the Lakes gets.
YHA Black Sail at a glance:
- £260,000 renovation making YHA Black Sail more energy efficient and sustainable
- Battery storage, wood store and cycle storage
- Thermal insulation and sun pipes allow natural light into darker areas of the building
- Renewable energy and hot water is provided on site by photovoltaic panels, solar panels and a wood burning stove
- LED lighting reduces electricity
- Aerated taps, dual flush toilets and percussion valves on showers help to conserve water
- Oak-framed, double-glazed windows reduce heat loss
Those on walking, hiking and climbing holidays will value the superb access to nearby peaks including Great Gable, Pillar, Red Pike and Steeple. Breakfast, packed lunches and home-cooked evening meals are available every day to keep you going. The common room is the hub of activity and functions as a lounge, dining room and drying room.
Why not have a look at our other recently refurbished Youth Hostels?
This project was supported by the Rural Development Programme for England, for which Defra is the Managing Authority, part financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
Need to know
The hostel is only accessible by foot or bike. The nearest road is 2 1/2 miles away by mountain path. There are no credit card facilities on site so please bring cash or a cheque. There are no electric sockets and mobile phone coverage is limited. The bedrooms, shower and toilets are all accessed from outside, so please bring a torch. Reception opens at 5pm however the common room is left open during the day for guests to use.
For bookings during the winter months please call 0800 0191 700 or 01629 592 700.
08.00 - 10.00
17.00 - 22.00
Hostel Closing Times:
Is the hostel open every day of the year?
- Take the opportunity to stay in a remote mountain retreat in the heart of Cumbria's Lakeland High peaks without the hassle of traffic, mobile phones and the internet. Make sure you watch the sun rise over Great Gable, and set over Pillar, simply stunning.